Thursday, October 14, 2010

019 - Age Detective

Responding to an urgent call, Detective Kent Dockland attends the offices of Hillary Black, where a burglary has been reported.

Hillary, though, is unimpressed. "Dockland?" she says. "I've heard you've got a bad reputation on the police force. Why shouldn't I send you back and request a good detective?"

"I am a good detective, ma'am,' says Dockland.

"Well, then," says Hillary, "tell me this: how old are my daughters?"

"How many daughters do you have?" asks Dockland.

"Three," says Hillary. "The product of their ages is 36, and the sum of their ages is the same as the number on my ID badge."

Dockland looks at Hillary's ID badge. "I'm sorry, ma'am," he says. "I can't tell you the answer to that question given that information."

"Oh, of course you can't!" says Hillary. "My apologies. I should have added that when I went into labor with my youngest daughter, both of her sisters were running around the back yard."

"Well, then, that's easy," says Dockland, and tells her the answer.

"Well, Detective, it seems I've been mistaken about you," says Hillary. "Let me tell you about these documents that were stolen..."

How old are Hillary's daughters?